Looking for a fun new hobby that challenges both your physical and mental abilities? Give climbing a try - the indoor/outdoor sport is fun, exciting and will definitely get your adrenaline flowing!Where can I do this?
Whether you’re just getting started, or you’re an experienced climber, we have a range of sessions and courses to suit all ages and abilities.
We have a range of options to choose from. Come and enjoy a one hour taster session with a qualified instructor to get a taste of what climbing is like, or sign up to a climbing course designed to teach you the skills you need to become an competent climber. Once you become a 'competent' climber you can climb during public sessions, and if you are 18yrs+ you can take up to two novice guest climbers with you. You can even have your birthday party or corporate event with us!
The main wall is up to 7.5m high x 11m long, and features a variety of vertical and overhanging sections. The routes cover everything from a child friendly grade 3 to a challenging grade 7. For a small wall, it’s packed full of features which will appeal to new and experienced climbers alike.
All lines are equipped for top roped climbing, but there are also in-situ quickdraws on every line if you want to use them for lead climbing with your own rope.
All the equipment you need is available for hire:
- Two sizes of adult harnesses from 20” waist to 50” , additional chest harnesses, and childrens full -body harness.
- Climbing shoes from adult size 1 (feel more like child size 10!) to 13.
- Karabiners and belay plates
In addition, two different sizes of adjustable climbing helmets are available for any climber who wants to use one.
In addition to top-rope climbing, there is also a small 3m high 18m2 boulder and traverse area with 300mm matting which doesn’t need a rope or harness to use. This includes a 40 degree circuit board set with a variety of boulder problems using standard Moon ™ holds.
There is also a tiered viewing area for spectators.
What’s on offer:
- Roped Climbing
- Lead climbing on in-situ quick-draws
- 40 degree circuit board with Moon ™ holds
- Bouldering and traverse area with 300mm matting
- Scheduled public climbing
- Come when you please public climbing
- Taster and come and try sessions
- Under 8s courses
- Over 8s courses
- Induction courses for new climbers
- Refresher and improver sessions
- Party bookings for adults and bairns
- Gear hire
The centre uses climbing instructors who are also members of Climb Shetland: www.climbshetland.co.uk